Silver Wolf might be a bit of a problem balance-wise!
Now that Silver Wolf is here, we could test her thoroughly, and one of our findings simultaneously makes us both happy and worried as it can threaten the balance of the game by making a lot of content trivial.
What’s the issue? Silver Wolf obviously and most importantly, her free-to-play cone Before the Tutorial Mission Starts which restores Energy when she attacks a target with DEF debuff allows her to use her Ultimate every single turn. Yes. You read that right – under the right conditions she can generate enough energy to use her Skill + Ultimate every single time she can act in the battle. This not only drastically improves her damage output but also allows her to debuff an enemy with most of her buffs every single time she acts.
So how can you achieve this? Let’s dive in!
First of all, to make this work you will need a few things:
- E1 Silver Wolf – her Eidolon 1 gives her a massive Energy gain when she uses her Ultimate,
- Description of the E1: After using her Ultimate to attack enemies, Silver Wolf regenerates 7 Energy for every debuff that the target enemy currently has. This effect can be triggered up to 5 time(s) in each use of her Ultimate.
- Before the Tutorial Mission Starts Light Cone (equipped on Silver Wolf) – this part is easy as everyone can obtain it from the current event for free and also superimpose it to the max level,
- Description of the Light Cone: Increases the wearer’s Effect Hit Rate by 20/25/30/35/40%. When the wearer attacks enemies that have reduced DEF, regenerates 4/5/6/7/8 Energy.
- 5* Link Rope with Energy Regeneration Rate main stat (at +15) – you get 19.44% increased energy regen thanks to this,
- Sprightly Vonwacq Relic Set – an additional 5% energy regen comes from here.
- Description of the set: Increases the wearer’s Energy Regeneration Rate by 5%. When the wearer’s SPD reaches 120 or higher, the wearer’s action is Advanced Forward by 40% immediately upon entering battle.
- Shared Feeling Light Cone at S3 or higher (equipped on an Abundance character) – this Light Cone regenerates 3 energy to each ally when the Abundance character uses her skill,
- Description of the Light Cone: Increases the wearer’s Outgoing Healing by 10/12.5/15/17.5/20%. When using Skill, regenerates 2/2/3/4/4 Energy for all allies.
- Carve the Moon, Weave the Clouds Light Cone – an alternative to the Shared Feeling Light Cone,
- Description of the Light Cone: At the start of the battle and whenever the wearer’s turn begins, one of the following effects is applied randomly: All allies’ ATK increases by 10/12.5/15/17.5/20%, all allies’ CRIT DMG increases by 12/15/18/21/24%, or all allies’ Energy Regeneration Rate increases by 6/7.5/9/10.5/12%. The applied effect cannot be identical to the last effect applied, and will replace the previous effect. The applied effect will be removed when the wearer has been knocked down. Effects of the similar type cannot be stacked.
Now, let’s combine all of that.
Silver Wolf needs 110 Energy to use her Ultimate and the table below breaks down where it’s coming from.
|5||Ultimate||Whenever you use Ultimate in Honkai: Star Rail, you start from 5 again, not 0 after using it.|
|16||Before the Tutorial Mission Starts||You need to attack a target with DEF down to get the energy, but thankfully Silver Wolf applies the DEF debuff before she attacks with her Ultimate, so you always trigger it. Also, you get the energy twice – once from using a Skill and a second time when using the Ultimate.|
|30||Skill||Using Silver Wolf’s Skill gives you 30 energy.|
|35||Eidolon 1||Using the Skill + Ultimate combo on an enemy guarantees you will get 5 debuffs on them: 1 weakness implant, 1 random Bug, 1 All-Res debuff, and 1 DEF debuff. To get the last debuff instantly you need E2 Silver Wolf or you simply need to break the enemy once/attack it again to implant a second random Bug.|
So now we’re sitting at 86 Energy generated instantly, but that’s still not enough to reach the 110. So where’s the rest coming from? Well, the Energy Regen Rate stat works a bit differently than most people might think – it affects ALL sources of energy characters generates. No matter if you attack an enemy, you get attacked, you trigger it from Light Cone – everything gets multiplied by your Energy Regen Rate value.
And since we’re getting 19.44% from the 5* Light Rope (at +15) and another 5% from the Sprightly Vonwacq, you can multiply the 86 Energy by 24.44% – which turns it into 106.984.
We’re close to 110, but still not there yet! So where do we get the missing 3 points? You have a few options here:
- You can put Silver Wolf next to a tank and when she will get hit by the splash damage, she will gain energy – the issue is that this isn’t consistent and you won’t be able to trigger it every turn,
- Silver Wolf kills something – while this is easy to do in normal gameplay or in Simulated Universe, in Memory of Chaos it’s a bit trickier to achieve (especially against bosses),
- Shared Feeling Light Cone gives 3 Energy to all allies when the Healer uses the Skill – but this creates an issue with Skill Points balance,
- Carve the Moon, Weave the Clouds Light Cone gives 6%+ Energy Regen Rate – but you only have a 33% chance to get the buff you want.
None of the options are consistent currently, and we will need to wait for another easier source of Energy Regen – maybe a future character will provide Energy to allies or there will be a Relic Set that gives it too. Till then, you’re at the mercy of RNG if you want to abuse the method discussed in this article!
Impact on other characters
The Before the Tutorial Mission Starts is great not only for Silver Wolf, but also Pela – it turns her into a monster, and if you want to learn more about this, check Grim’s video! The information used in this article came from him and he goes into more detail about both Silver Wolf and Pela, so give him a watch: